Friday 19 June 2009

Art

Maybe it's the slight hangover from last night's beer and video-games,

It might be the delirium from drinking 1 1/2 pots of coffee,

It may even be attributed to the 4 cookies and slice of cold, crusty pizza I had for breakfast,

But I'm insanely giddy over my first ever art sale. My piece sold for hundreds of dollars!

3 hundreds and 25 dollars to be specific.

Yes, today I learned how the Art Auction went that I skipped out on. I received a letter at work from the local charity it was for. This is the chair I donated:

I toiled, screamed, lost sleep, and generally procrastinated over trying to finish this chair. But in the end, it turned out pretty well. Although I'd say it was only about 85% done, and I wish I'd have had just one more day to dedicate to painting it, I'm a little proud of it. Looking back there's about dozen things I would change. But it's in the past now, it was a learning experience, and I'll move on to bigger and better things.

But most of all, I'm really proud that it went for $325 bucks. I'm a nobody artist, a complete newcomer and amateur, and this was quite literally my 8th or 9th in my entire life. Looking through the pamphlet of some of the other pieces I'm pretty honored to have even been in the same auction. So going over $300 is a decent accomplishment, especially when I was going to bring a $40 cheque just in case nobody bid on it.

The first thing I did when I found out about it was rush into the office and excitedly exclaim to Grant Berg (who is himself a very talented artist, be sure to take a look at his work here) how much my chair sold for.

Then I started flipping through the book of all the art and took a closer look at my listing.

They spelt my name wrong, and they put down the wrong business that I was representing/where I work. Which is quite funny because I signed the chair, sent mail and emails with my name spelt my name right, and put a Big Country XX 93.1 sticker on it, just to make it abundantly clear who I was working for, and who I was representing.

I even remember when I dropped the thing off that I said who I was and where I was from.

Oh well, it'll be a funny story to tell in years to come.


Monster Magnet - Space Lord

5 comments:

drollgirl said...

this is so radical!!!! i am so happy for you!!!

i have a bit of advice you can take or leave....it might be a good idea to ask who bought the art and get their contact info. you might be able to sell to them again! and this time you would get to keep the money!!!

well done, man! well done!

i have never sold art, but friends and family scoop it up and will never give it back. groan.

Aunty Pat said...

So Jake, you are one L of an artist!!!
Sorry I didn't originate that--my principal said I was one L of at T.A. when my birthday cake Hammell was spelled the same way as your brochure. Anyway I still think it is kind of funny. We're proud of your artistic endeavors and that you raised big $$ for the charity.

Maxwell ! said...

Nice work hammer! I think I'll call you Hammer. I am envious. I would really like to get into art, but I have no idea where to start. I think painting is where I'd like to start.

Kudos

Anonymous said...

One L of an artist .... that joke will never get old!

Sean

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Great stuff! Do you know how much the other chairs went for?