Thursday 15 January 2009

Debbie Downer

Foreward: Friday, January 16. I apologize for this post. It's all Youtube and no Jake. Believe me when I say I'm cooking something good up.

My roommates really enjoy watching movies. It's pretty much all they do when they're home and not pissing themselves laughing to the antics of Reba on DVD.



So just a few days ago one of the girls had a friend over and she suggested watching a movie, but was unsure as to which one everyone would like to see, as she and the friend had already watched everything in the house. Luckily though I happened to bring a small portion of my movies to Grande Prairie and said "Hey guys, here's my collection. Why don't you watch one of these?"

They were ecstatic! While there were only like ten or twelve to choose from, all of them were new to these people. They hadn't even heard of most of them. I brought only what I considered to be the real gems of my collection (and even then I left many behind). They're all excellent movies, but I understand that my taste in film is not exactly the same as everyone else's.

So I said, "Hey guys, put in Apt Pupil, it's a movie where Ian McKellen is an evil old Nazi." They were on it like jewish women to a circumcision.

But partway though the movie my roommate started asking me questions like "Are you a big fan of politics?" "Is this a happy movie?" and "What's going on?"

Afterwards she confessed that she likes movies with happy endings and chick flicks. Which left me really really confused. Apt Pupil definitely has what I would call a happy ending, albeit a disturbing one. But in retrospect, I guess it's not what I would call a happy ending so much as a definite conclusion.

This got me looking at the rest of the movies I brought:

The TV Set - A bittersweet ending, one that anyone in media would be able to appreciate



Goodfellas - Another bittersweet ending, which could have been happy if it weren't based on a true story



Once Upon a Time in the West - Happy Ending...sort of. Not really though if you really think about it



Once Upon a Time in America - A conclusion, one that leaves you a little sad and confused.



Lost in Translation - Fantastic Ending! I loved it, although you can't quite tell if it was happy or sad.



Broken Flowers - Another fantastic ending. One that doesn't make a lot of sense unless you think about it



The Squid and the Whale - I thought it was a beautiful ending to an excellent movie. But I understand how people may spend more time thinking into the ending than they need to and miss the joy.



Deathproof - A violent ending, one that I would call very happy. But I know some chicks, especially the ones I live with, wouldn't like it.



So yeah, I think I really am a bit of a Debbie Downer, at least in Grande Prairie. I have no idea why I like these movies versus ones with sappy sweet endings. Maybe it's because most of those movies make me want to throw up in Anne Hathaway's face. But back in Manitoba my collection includes such kickass movies with happy endings such as:

Big Trouble in Little China



Return of the King (but the book was much better, it had a bittersweet ending)



Ghostbusters 2



Dirty Work



But in the end, I guess I should just sit down and watch the damn chick flicks that my roommates are always playing everyone will probably be happier for it. Maybe I'll even give Reba a chance too.



Or maybe not.

2 comments:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Reba?

[vomits for several minutes on the floor - slips and falls in the puke puddle - because of this action, tosses cookies one final time - exhausted, closes eyes, and goes to sleep on the floor]

BC said...

yeh i understand your thinking of acquiescing to what you think everyone else wants to watch but I don't really see that as your style. Ya gotta run with who ya are. Never, ever give in to Reba.