Monday 6 May 2013

Coffee Break!

I was listening to the radio last week and they had a nice little story about the TV show Friends.

Specifically, they interviewed a researcher who sat down and figured out how much coffee Monica, Pheobe, Rachael, Ross, Chandler, and Joey drank over the course of the series.



He estimated that each character drank two giant cups per episode. After some fancy math (AKA basic multiplication) he figured out that they drank 1683.5 litres of coffee over ten years. Apparently that’s enough to hospitalize 300 people (if you gave them each 5.6 litres and they drank it all at once)

Which got me thinking…how much coffee do I drink? I know it’s a lot, but how many times should I be dying in a year?


Well, after following the same formula, I worked out that I probably average about 418 litres of coffee in year.

This is equal to 2357 6oz cups(equal to a small mug), and according to my body weight it’ll take about 106.66 small cups all at once to kill me.

Which means, after all that mumbo jumbo, I drink enough coffee per year to kill me 22 times, which in reality isn’t all that bad. It is a little surprising when you do the math though, because if you break down even more it turns out I’m burning through 2.4 cats worth of lives in a year.

Which we all know is a standard imperial unit of measurement alongside a hogshead, a puncheon, and a firkin. Also, I learned how to use a calculator.

No comments: