Tuesday 18 October 2011

Good Natured Fall Fun in Saskatchewan

Fall means leaves, pumpkins, impending snow, and hoodies! And since the snow will soon be here, it was time to take in the fine autumn weather we’ve been enjoying out here in the Prairies.

What did we choose to do? Well, Girlfriend and I drove for almost 2 hours to enjoy some Fall themed fun!




We went to the Lumsden Pumpkin Hollow, located just north of Regina. It’s quite obviously meant for kids and families, but to hell with that! Neither of us had been to a corn maze or a pumpkin patch, and so we decided that we’d kill two stones with one bird.

First thing we did, hit the corn maze!




Here's the Where's Waldo moment of Hammelltime: Can you find me in this photo?
The maze was impressively large, and apparently in the shape of a pirate skull. We did manage to get lost, but I think that’s because people had kind of made their own paths, and it wasn’t always clear if we were on a real path or not.
They also had these “Corn-undrums.” Basically, picture riddles to solve during your maze your tour. We got most of them really quick, but this was one that I still have no F’ing clue what the answer is.

The first person to solve it wins 1,000,000 internet points.

After the corn maze, I fired the Corn Cannon! Look, a video!





It was neat, they had you firing cobs of corn at CFL Team Logos. No Roughrider targets though, as that would be damaging their rep with the local fanatics. I aimed for the Argos.

Next, they had this big giant pillow thing. You jumped on it. But something was wrong with it, and they cleared everyone off of it and closed it before I could take a turn with all the ten-year-olds.

There were some hay bails to take photos in front of as well. But after the pillow got shut down the kids started jumping all over the hay bails. Since I didn’t want to be a total creeper and join them, instead I took the slightly less creepy route and took a photo of this hilarious kid in overalls jumping down.

He biffed it and I laughed inside while he rolled around in the hay trying to get up.

Finally, we decided to shop for pumpkins. By this point, we had learned that there was no "pumpkin patch," which was really disappointing. I was expecting some little-people farm with a field to wander in where I could pick a pumpkin off the vine.

But, this being Canada, apparently pumpkin patches don't work like that. So we went inside the pumpkin store to find one. The best pumpkins had already been picked over, so instead I settled for a photo.

All in all, The Pumpkin Hollow in Lumsden was some good Fall Fun!




Angus and Julia Stone - I'm Not Yours




2 comments:

Kristi said...

Looks similar to the Lacombe Corn Maze. I'm sorry you missed out on the bouncey thing. It's a LOT of fun and I enjoyed it more than the corn maze.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

I love corn mazes!
However, you made an error in your blog that I'd like to correct. You no longer wear a hoodie; you wear a bunny hug. LOL gappers.