Tuesday 7 December 2010

Turning Into a Wino




This past year I've been drinking a lot of wine. Not just taste testing either, I mean really giving it on the fermented grape juice. So obviously my nearly 12 months of serious wine drinking means I'm an authority on the subject.

And for a lack of anything else to talk about, here's a few of my preferred wines you should check out if your standing at the local liquor commission looking for something new to try:

Luchador Wine - Shiraz
This stuff rocks! I bought it because I was impressed with the label, but when I tried it my tastebuds were body-slammed with flavour!
This is my favourite wine by far. I have no idea how to describe tastes or smells of wine, so all I can really say is that lunchador wine is BIG. It smells bold, its taste explodes when you sip it, and it makes any other red wines you try afterwards taste like muddy water by comparison.

Jacob's Creek - Merlot
I bought this because it had my name on the bottle. It's kind of bitter, but easy to drink. But beware, it's cheap, and it packs a hell-of-a-hangover the next morning, and you can feel it coming on even after only two glasses. As far as red wines go, Jacob's Creek isn't bad. There's better wine out there, but I've always found it's had an interesting enough of a taste to make it worth drinking.

Kung Fu Girl - Riesling

This was introduced to me by my girlfriend, and it's her favourite. Initially I scoffed at it, but after trying it I found it was an entirely unique wine of its own. It's got a bit of carbonation that makes it bubbly, it's sort of tangy (if that's the right word) like citrus, and the aftertaste rolls over your tastebuds with a soothing glow. Definitely needs to be chilled though, drinking it at room temperature is practically a sin. If you have to bring a bottle of something to a friend's house and want to impress your Wine Expert friends, go with Kung Fu Girl.

I'm always up for trying new wines too, so lay it on me. What's good? What do you like? What do you hate?

Hail Mary Mallon - D-Up

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your next wine to try should be a gewurztraminer from any Okanagan or German vineyard. It's a fresh white with a spry attitude, and it exceeds expectations from first sniff to back-palate. Truly an uplifting wine.

Enjoy with a small gathering of friends, and impress them by saying things like "Ooh the nose on this is exhilarating" or "the mid-palate has a citrus-y edge to it."

Peace. Love. Wine.

-J

Chelsea Ribbon said...

oh I LOVE wine!!! My favourite is Sutter Home White Zinfandel... it's a sweet dessert wine and very easy to drink.

Next up, I love Naked Grape wines... oh very delicious!