Thursday 4 March 2010

Being Typecast

I'm starting to know what it's like for people like Mark Hamel and William Shatner to go about their daily lives. Both of them are remembered for one big thing, being Luke Skywalker and Captain Kirk respectively.

As for me, when people ask me “Oh, you make commercials? Which ones are yours?” I'll rattle off a little of five or six which I'm really proud of, or which were funny, but most of the time people don't recall. That is, until I say
“Have you heard the Hansensize commercial?”
at which point they go
“Oh Yeah! Hansensize Me! That's a good one!”



Have a listen to that ad, this is relevant info.

But the real problem, is that I'm starting being type cast for roles in which I “sound confused.”



I have a lot of personal experience in being confused, and you can really hear the subtle intonations I can embed in my performance. Hopefully though my voice career goes further than just sounding confused, because I can also do 'sounding perplexed' and 'being angry.'

Until then, I guess I'll just keep on being confused.

Kim Mitchell - Go For Soda

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

Wait... that's you IN the ad??!

Chelsea Ribbon said...

lmfao... "smacked?" lmfao I just want to listen to you say that over and over again.