Tuesday 18 November 2008

Burning Desire

Can you smell it? Yes, its the stench of geek, and yes, it's coming from me.
I'm about to get a little bit dorky here, but the topic has to be covered. Basically, for the past month or so I've been wanting to do that which nobody but a select few people can openly admit; I want to play Dungeons & Dragons.


image courtesty of: http://www.sumoexperience.co.uk

I know what you're thinking "Jake? Play D&D? Humbug!" I'm just as surprised as you, but every now and then, like a person who has quit smoking cigarettes or stopped shooting a little heroine, you get a burning desire. Usually the craving passes, you can forget about that one little smoke for a while, and if you're lucky, the feeling passes. But for the unlucky few, they start to think about it more and more and then they begin to obsess.

I thought I had beaten off my addiction. I tried to ween myself off rolling dice and talking statistics by playing computer games like Baldur's Gate and Shadowrun. But it's like nicotine gum, you get by on it, but you know the real deal is so much better and you're always left wanting more. About two months ago, September 23rd to be exact, I happened to stumble across a gaming circle and was invited in to play. I got a little taste, and I wanted more. But it's like being an addict in rehab, and not the rehab where you can get drugs smuggled in, I'm talking lockdown rehab. I can't get my fix!

Lately my addiction has been manifesting itself in my Etch-A-Sketches. I can't seem to think of anything to draw but dragons and knights and little monsters. Try as I might I can't kick this habit. So I think I need to indulge myself. Hopefully I don't get back on the train and start tabletop gaming all the time, but I have to admit to myself, the odds against me are bad. I'm a long time user, big time abuser.

But seriously, I'd really like to play some D&D. I have a creative itch that needs to be scratched. I don't know why more people don't play. It's good wholesome fun and you get to be as silly or serious as you like. Not only that, but it's a great social activity to meet new people at and make friends.

The great thing about the geek and nerd community is that it's very accepting. You wanna come play some D&D? Sure buddy, come on in! With a little help to start off, you'll be up and running and playing Dungeons and Dragons like a pro in no time! Plus the game is fun with certain stimulants. I think you all know what I mean...cheetos. Nothing like having Cheeto dust encrusted dice!

So anyway, hopefully writing about this will help me stave off the burning desire for some D&D, at least for a little while until I can get 3 or 4 people to play with me. Okay, so I geek brain-farted all over this post and it shouldn't happen this bad again for a while. Thanks for putting up with this, next post will be about a book or something.

Unless you wanna talk about D&D! Do you want to talk about Dungeons and Dragons?


Please?

Image Courtesy of: www.superstock.com


november 17th video of the week
Gogol Bordello - Start Wearin' Purple
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_81l4DXlwM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?